Science Magazine “RWTH Themen” showcases research in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Data Science at RWTH
Issue 2/2020 of the Science Magazine “RWTH Themen” presents highlights in ICT research at RWTH Aachen University. The issue, created by the RWTH Profile Area Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), presents a range of cutting edge research in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Data Science.
Some examples of the exciting research described in the science magazine:
- The Carologistics Team of RWTH of Aachen University specializes in robotics for flexible production in the context of Industry 4.0. The team has won the Logistics League organized by the RoboCup Federation several times. In this league teams of robots compete in the production of goods with high variability.
- Researchers from RWTH Aachen University have designed computer-controlled, human-like virtual agents using their unique expertise in virtual acoustics and social virtual reality. The audiovisual virtual worlds created allow the human sciences to systematically investigate the influence of spatial acoustics and visual stimuli on human cognition.
- The DFG-funded Excellence Cluster “Internet of Production” aims to integrate model-based and data-driven AI methods for coherent decision support in the development, operation, and usage cycles of production engineering. The cluster is centered around a novel transdisciplinary abstraction called “Digital Shadows” to drive cross-domain research and innovation.
- The availability of large amounts of data in combination with machine learning offer enormous opportunities for science, industry and society. The universal use of data science methods combined with the normative role of data-driven analyses however urgently requires an ethical perspective of the function and impact of data science in decision-making processes. Therefore, RWTH researchers in social sciences, ethics, and computer sciences have joined forces around the topic of Responsible Data Science (RDS). How to ensure fairness, confidentiality, and transparency while effectively utilizing data? This is one of the key questions of our time.
- Our world is full of decision and planning situations of a combinatorial flavor. Mathematical optimization has been around for decades. However, due to advances in artificial intelligence and machine learning new questions and possibilities emerge. The combination of predictive and prescriptive analytics requires new approaches combining mathematical optimization and machine learning.
- Human language technology focuses on the combination of artificial intelligence, the recognition and comprehension of spoken language, and the translation between languages. During the last two decades, artificial neural networks along with deep learning provided breakthroughs in human language technology. RWTH hosts one of the globally leading groups in this scientific discipline.
These are just a few of the examples in the latest issue of the Science Magazine “RWTH Themen” (92 pages). These examples illustrate the wealth of activities in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data science at RWTH Aachen University. It also shows that the AI Center ecosystem provides unique competences and collaborative opportunities.
RWTH Themen 2/2020
The content embedded in this web page will take you to web pages provided by the electronic publishing platform issuu – Issuu Inc: 131 Lytton Ave., Palo Alto, CA 94301. Invoking this content makes it possible for issuu to determine your IP address, the language setting of your system, and a number of browser-specific details.
By clicking the "accept" button, you agree to use the content provided by the platform under the conditions outlined above.
Please note that you give your consent for a one-time use of the web page only. When you visit the page again, you will again be asked for your consent.Accept